Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dear Mr. Salesman

I don't like pushy people.  As seen by our previous post, B and I joined a church on Sunday.  Everyone was so welcoming and warm when we first began attending.  They continue to be that way, until we were bombarded by the youth pastor on Sunday.  I think he saw that we were new, young, "fresh blood" and began trying to sell us on leading a bible study group for high schoolers.  Before we knew it we were scheduling a dinner meeting for tonight.
Well, the meeting came and went and I have an even more sour taste in my mouth.  One girl, who has been leading these groups for awhile, said to him, "Wow, were you a salesman?!"  He sent about 7 books home for us to read.  He also explained that "It's not just a social gathering.  If it were that, the kids might as well be going to a kegger."  SERIOUSLY dude?!  Just because you're not reading the bible, doesn't mean you're chugging beer.
So I vented to B on the way home and then vented to my mom when she called.  It's just a big commitment for being so new -  2 hours, every Tuesday night.  I feel like I'm a good Christian, I enjoy going to church and I DO want to be involved, however, I feel like they should've approached us in a different manner.  I'll keep you updated.  B's not as negative about this as I am, and he just kind of rolled with it.  As long as he does this with me and with his positive attitude, I think we can survive together.  I want this to be a rewarding experience and a chance to make a difference with these teens.  But please Mister Youth Pastor-man, work on your sales pitch a little more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment