Since Brad and I are wanting kids within the next couple years, it's time to get my diabetes in better control, to avoid potential complications. These numbers aren't really understood by non-diabetics, but my last blood test (A1C) was 7.7 - to get pregnant the doctors want me under 6.5. In order to attain that number, I need to check my blood sugars every few hours and be really good with counting carbs. I usually just guess but now I need to look at every nutritional label.
I went to a class a few days ago where they went over their dietary expectations. Basically I have to eat 6 low-carb meals a day. No rice. I can only have 1 fruit serving (1/2 apple or 1/2 banana = 1 serving) at lunch and dinner. No sweets (not even sugar free ice cream). No juice. I've been doing this for 2 days so far and it is TOUGH. I'm not much of a meat eater (I LOVE carbs), let alone hungry every 2-3 hours.
Last night's dinner. 30 grams of carbohydrate = rice, 21 grams of protein = fish and cheese,
fruit = grapes and dairy = yogurt
Snack. 15 grams of carbohydrate, 21 grams of protein and dairy
Tonight's dinner. 1 cup stuffing, Shake n Bake pork chop, grapes and yogurt
Here's a sample of the daily records I need to keep. I have to write down my blood sugars and the carbohydrates, fiber, and protein in everything I eat. (I did slip a cookie in there....ooops! I told Brad to hide the cookies from me, because they're a restricted food) :(
Although this is a lot of work, I know it'll be worth it. After keeping 2 weeks' worth of records, I have a doctors appointment to see where I stand. I'll keep you updated. If anyone has any good meal ideas that don't contain over 30 grams of carbohydrates, let me know! :)

I know you can do this, diets are ever changing in our lives. Be it a health related changes or just simply getting older. You are doing great, keep it up. I bet you feel better eating so healthy. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm also a Type 1 diabetic diagnosed 20 years ago! And, oddly enough, my husband's name is Brad?!? I stumbled on your blog and thought I'd say hi! My husband and I started trying to get pregnant earlier this year and now we are expecting a baby girl in January! So keep your chin up, it can be done!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm so impressed with your willpower! I've never tried a diet that controlled and I'm not sure I could do it! My husband is a meat-eater and so he likes protien-heavy meals. Usually we have a meat, a salad, a starchy veggie (like corn) and maybe a roll. That way I'm only bolusing for the veggie and the roll (about 30 carbs). Don't know if that works in your diet but hope it helps!
Hi, Just found your blog through Layne and uh, yep, another 20 yearer here with a husband named BRAD :) My precious baby girl is now 7 1/2 months old after many years of non compliance and horrible A1Cs. You CAN do this!!
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I've never heard of that restrictive of a diet for a t1 diabetic these days... are you on the pump??
Anyway, just wanted to sai "hi" and tell you that this is completely possible :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have!
I think I was around 7.5 or 8 the appt before we found out, but my a1c was right around 7 when I found out I was pregnant. After that, it quickly dropped to the mid 5's... somehow knowing that your child relies on good control makes it so much easier!! I also used a CGMS, which helped a TON! If you want to email me, feel free: this.is.my.sos@gmail.com!
ReplyDeleteHi, I just found your blog through Layne's blog. I am a Type I diabetic (11 years) and am 24 weeks pregnant with my first child. Honestly, I can't imagine being on such a restrictive diet. Ugh, I don't think I could do that. I know being on the pump and the CGM helped tremendously. My A1C was 5.9 when I got pregnant and since I've been pregnant it has dropped to the mid 5's. So far I haven't had any complications and everything is going perfectly! Good luck to you! :) It is HARD, but you can do it!
ReplyDelete