Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tour de Cure


Before we left, getting ready to ride 25 miles through the Napa Valley



Rest stop and picture break about 15 miles in



We finished!!!!


I've had Type 1 diabetes since I was 5. Looking at the positive side, I was fortunate to get it at such a young age. I have grown up with it all my life pretty much, so no major changes were ever needed in regards to what I ate and my activity - taking shots and eating at certain times was just the norm. I'm lucky now to be on an insulin pump where it's not so stringent.
I became involved with the Tour de Cure as a volunteer back in high school, working the registration table. I was always in awe of the support and number of people that showed up to ride. The Tour de Cure takes place all over the nation, with the biggest one being held in Napa Valley. It's open to all levels and they have 10, 20, 50, and 100 mile rides. I rode my first Tour two years ago with B, riding the 25 miler. B and I got into cycling and 25 miles was nothing. Fast forward 2 years with a new job, wedding planning, thesis and I hadn't been on a bike in well over a year. When J told me that she was going to ride the 25 miler and wanted me to do it with her, I was a little nervous. How was I going to survive?!?! But....WE DID!
I had so much fun today! I rode with J's fiance, two brothers and a group of his co-workers. It rained for the first 5 miles or so but then dried out - we were fortunate to not have it be too hot. It's amazing how great you feel after completely something that you didn't think you'd be able to do.
A huge thank you to everyone who supports diabetes!

1 comment: